Moving to Minnesota from another State?
If you are moving to Minnesota from another State, you will need to take the written test at an State Exam Station, we ARE UNABLE to process them in our office. Please see DRIVE.MN.GOV for State Exam Locations and Minnesota Drivers Manuals.
The License Bureau is now processing Motor Vehicle and Driver’s License transactions via appointment.
Use the link provided below to make your appointment. Please, use our drop box for renewals.
RENEWING YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE OR ID?
If you do not have any changes to your license/ID, you can now renew your license online at DRIVE.MN.GOV. You can only use this option if you are not changing the class or type of Driver’s License/ID that you currently have AND you do not have any changes to your information.
Making an appointment for Driver’s License or ID? Save time and pre-apply online before your appointment at DRIVE.MN.GOV.
Applying for REAL or ENHANCED IDs? Make sure you are prepared- visit DRIVE.MN.GOV to find out what you need to have.
ABOUT MAKING YOUR APPOINTMENT
- You will receive an automated phone call reminder 1 hour before your scheduled appointment.
- Following the phone call, a text message will be sent with an arrival link. Once you have arrived in the parking lot, stay in your vehicle and click the link provided to you in the text message that you received earlier. Clicking the link lets our staff know that you have arrived. PLEASE WAIT OUTSIDE.
- Our staff will send you a text message requesting you to come inside for your appointment once the previous customers have left and our staff is ready to assist you.
- Please be patient and wait outside. Our staff is trying to assist everyone in the safest way possible. This requires cleaning between customers and we can only allow a limited number of customers in our lobby at a time.
Note: Appointment link not compatible with internet explorer.
- REAL ID
- Deadline has been extended to October 1, 2021
- DRIVER’S LICENSES AND ID’S
- Standard Drivers Licenses and ID’s can now be renewed online at DRIVE.MN.GOV as long as you have no changes.
- REAL ID’S AND ENHANCED DL’S CANNOT BE DONE ONLINE AND WILL NEED AN APPOINTMENT.
- In-person transactions by appointment only; click on the “Book Appointment” button on the County Website. If you do not have internet please call (218) 879-5951 to schedule.
- Save time and pre-apply online. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/default.aspx
- Driver’s licenses that expire March 13th or after have been extended to September 30th per the Governor’s Peacetime Emergency Orders.
- For information on extensions for an expiring driver’s license or ID, please follow this link: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/news/Pages/frequently-asked-questions.aspx
- MOTOR VEHICLE/TITLE TRANSFERS/REGISTRATION RENEWALS
- In-person transactions by appointment only; click on the “Book Appointment” button on the County website. If you do not have internet call (218) 879-5951 to schedule an appointment.
- Drop off and mail options are strongly recommended
- The Cloquet office will accept drop off and mailed tab renewals at 14 N 11th Street Suite 130, Cloquet, MN 55720.
- For drop off and mail options, you MUST include your renewal slip (or a note with ALL required vehicle info) AND insurance company name, policy number, full expiration date AND check or money order (no cash) and your phone number.
- Deadlines for vehicle registration have NOT been extended because services are available by drop off, mail or online.
- DNR RENEWALS
- In-person transactions by appointment only; click on the “Book Appointment” button on the County Website or if you have no internet call (218) 879-5951.
- Drop off and mail options are strongly recommended--call our office for help with fees.
- The Cloquet office will accept drop off and mailed renewals at 14 N 11th Street Suite 130, Cloquet, MN 55720.
- For drop off and mail options, you must include your renewal card, phone number and check (no cash).
- DNR information number 800-285-2000.
- ATV Transfers / Renewals
- Auto Title transfers
- Boat Transfers / Renewals
- Disability Parking Certificates
- Duplicate License Plates/Tabs
- Duplicate Titles
- License Tab Renewals
- New vehicle registration
- Out-of-state vehicle registration
- Snowmobile Transfers / Renewals
- Special License Plate applications
- State ID Cards
See a list of requirements for obtaining an ID in Minnesota for the first time.
Understand how to renew your Minnesota driver's license.
See how to get an ID duplicate.
See requirements for a drivers instruction permit.
Review a list of fees for Driver's License, Identification Cards and other services.
View and download documents such as manuals and visual acuity forms.
See information on ATVs, Boats, and Snowmobiles.