Financial & Health Care Assistance

Update - Interviews for Financial Assistance

In an effort to reduce the spread of the corona virus disease, effective immediately, Financial Workers will NOT be conducting face-to-face interviews.

Interviews will be conducted via phone.

You may drop off paperwork in the outside drop box located at the southeast corner of the Community Services Building in Cloquet.  You may also drop off paperwork at the first floor front desk of the Community Services Building in Cloquet.  In Moose Lake, the drop box is in located outside the front door or you can drop off paperwork or pick up applications at the reception area inside the building.  

We encourage you to use your phone to communicate with your Financial Worker/Team to protect yourself.  If you do not have access to a phone, you may use a county phone to conduct an interview when applying for programs.  

Please be sure to include your phone number on all paperwork you turn in to the county.  

Team 1  878-2551Team 2  878-2552
Team 3  878-2553Health Care Team  878-2557
Child Care  878-2518Moose Lake Office  485-8520

Carlton County’s Financial Assistance Department is responsible for administering public assistance programs that are funded by Federal, State, and County dollars. Financial Assistance workers are responsible for ensuring accurate determination of benefits as well as timely issuance of benefits to eligible Carlton County citizens.

Eligibility for some programs start on the date the county agency receives a completed application or healthcare request. Some medical programs can provide coverage going back 3 months in the past but others may start on the day you apply or future months. Therefore it is important to apply for assistance as soon as you think you may need help.

Civil Rights

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on  race, color, national origin, religion, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil  rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, America Sign Language, etc.) should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence  Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or 

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.