To request a copy of a death record, see the applicable fees, and download the appropriate form. State of Minnesota death records only.
Deceased 1997 & After
A certified death record for a death occurring in Minnesota in 1997 or after may be purchased through the Recorder’s Office. In order to obtain a certified death certificate eligibility must be shown.
Deceased Before 1997
A certified death record for a death recorded in Carlton County before 1997 may be purchased through the Recorder’s Office. In order to obtain a certified death certificate eligibility must be shown.
Complete the Minnesota Death Record Application form (PDF), provide the required identification and fee.
Complete a Minnesota Death Record Application (PDF), and the signature verified by a Notary Public. Mail the application, along with the required fee, to the Carlton County Recorder’s Office.
Download the Minnesota Death Record Application (PDF), print it and fill it out. The application form may be obtained at the Recorder's Office OR a form may be sent upon request.
One of the following documents must be provided in order to meet state requirements:
- Unexpired picture driver’s license of a U.S. state or territory
- Unexpired picture identification card of a U.S. state or territory
- Unexpired U.S. federal, state or local government employee picture identification
- Unexpired U.S. military picture identification
- Unexpired U.S. passport
- $13 First Certified Death Record without cause of death (only for records 1997 to present)
- $13 First Certified Death Record with cause of death
- $6 Each additional Death Record of the same record issued at the same time