The program offers two different options for parent education classes; the first one offers topics the parent can choose to work on and the second is an evidence based program called Parenting Inside Out. If the incarcerated parent chooses to participate in the parent-ed they will be given a checklist of topics they can work on during the classes. They will typically meet 1-2 times a week for about an hour.
Contact Tess Christensen for more information Tess.Christensen@co.carlton.mn.us 218-451-6514
Parent Education Topics
• Adverse Childhood Experiences – the effects of trauma on children’s growth and development
• Children’s mental health conditions and supports
• Communication styles and barriers
• Conflict resolution – dealing with anger in relationships
• Dealing with children who have special needs – Autism, ADHD
• Children’s developmental stages and concerns
• Effects of parental separation or divorce on children
• Fetal alcohol exposure effects on children
• Impact and outcomes of parental incarceration on children
Parenting Inside Out (PIO) is a 12-lesson program with each lesson lasting approximately 2 hours geared towards justice system involved families. PIO teaches a variety of positive parenting techniques through interactive coaching, role-plays, journaling and discussion. It will help expand an understanding of child development, learn how to problem-solve, explore new ways to nurture and encourage the child, and use non-violent discipline to guide your child. PIO is available within Carlton County Jail as well as the community. It is open to parents, grandparents, caregivers, and guardians of children under the age of 18 who have experienced incarceration or have had a family member incarcerated.