Carlton County COVID-19 update 3/23/20
Carlton County is continuing to follow the recommendations from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in best practice for all guidance related to COVID-19.
For employees continuing to work, recommendations related to travel and staying home can be found here:
- MDH (About Coronavirus, including recommendations on staying home: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/basics.html)
- MDH (COVID-19 Information for Businesses and Employers: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/businesses.html)
- MDH (Travelers: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/travel.html - this webpage also includes links to the CDC’s recommendations)
County officials understand that there continues to be many unknowns, as well as conflicting information, and that can cause stress among community members and families. A few resources, if you are, or someone you know is experiencing increased anxiety are provided:
- MDH Document “Managing Stress and the Threat of COVID-19” can be found here: https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/ep/behavioral/stress_covid19.pdf
- MDH (Behavioral Health and Emergency Preparedness: https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/ep/behavioral/index.html#covid19)
- The Crisis Text Line is an anonymous text line, available 24/7. Opt in by texting MN to 741741.
- 211 (http://211.org/services/covid19, or dial 211 to speak to someone who can help)
MDH is asking anyone with a dental emergency to contact their dentist directly before going to the Emergency Room.
MDH is also requesting that anyone willing/able to give blood do so, as there is a blood shortage. Blood Centers are making it possible for healthy individuals to still donate and maintain social distancing. Please contact your local blood center/bank if you would like to donate, but are unsure if you would be eligible.
- Memorial Blood Centers: https://www.mbc.org/coronavirus-blood-donation/, 1-844-213-5219
- American Red Cross: https://www.redcross.org/give-blood.html, 1-800-733-2767
Carlton County Public Health and Human Services is continuing to recommend that anyone with general health-related questions about COVID-19 call MDH’s hotline (7am-7pm): 651-201-3920 or 1-800-657-3903.
Carlton County Updates:
Carlton County is still open for business, but a few access changes. In general, please limit your visits to any County building to essential services/transactions only. Please do not enter County buildings if you have signs of respiratory illness – our intent during this time is to be proactive in hopes to slow the spread of COVID-19, as well as other illnesses that are circulating in the community, like influenza. The public is always welcome to call before they visit in-person.
- CareerForce, located at the Community Services Building in Cloquet, is closed to the public beginning today, 3/23.
- The Motor Vehicle Registration Office located at the Community Services Building in Cloquet is still closed until necessary space modifications are in place for safety. Anticipated reopening is 3/25.
- The Carlton County Extension Building on Chestnut Street (Carlton) and the Transportation Building remain closed to the public. Please call either building with essential service requests.
- Staff in buildings that are still open to the public are practicing social distancing (6 feet apart), and proper personal hygiene before services are provided. Beginning March 19th, custodial staff will adjust their cleaning routine to begin at 9:00 am with focus on repeated cleaning of the higher trafficked spaces and frequently touched areas in Carlton County buildings.
- More information may be available after today’s Carlton County Board Meeting (4pm).
Please continue to access the following websites for the most up to date and accurate information:
(State) Minnesota Department of Health - MDH: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/index.html
(National) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
(International) World Health Organization - WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Press releases will continue to be added to Carlton County’s website homepage (www.co.carlton.mn.us), under the Newsflash Section. They will also be added to Carlton County’s Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/CarltonCountyMN/), along with other community resources.