When do I need a Zoning Permit?

Carlton County Zoning and Environmental Services is the zoning authority for all areas of Carlton County except the following cities:

  • Barnum
  • Carlton
  • Cloquet
  • Cromwell
  • Kettle River
  • Moose Lake
  • Scanlon
  • Wrenshall
  • Wright
  • Thomson Township

Carlton County also has zoning authority in shore land areas (property within 1,000 feet of a classified lake or 300 feet of a classified river or stream) in the City of Cromwell and Thomson Township. Zoning permits (PDF) are required for building or moving any structure, no matter the size, including:

  • Additions
  • Decks
  • Dwellings
  • Garages
  • Outhouses
  • Privacy fences
  • Sheds
  • Signs
  • Storage containers
  • Canvas hoop structures
  • Pergola
  • Yurt
  • Play House

Zoning Permits are not required for replacing windows, doors, re-siding or re-roofing (new shingles). For more information, contact us at 218-384-9176.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a Zoning Permit?
2. What is my zoning district?
3. What are the required setbacks?
4. Does the County enforce the State Building Code?
5. Where do I get a permit for installing a well?
6. Where do I get a permit for a septic system?
7. When am I required to have my septic system inspected?
8. Can I fill a swamp or low area on my property?
9. Can I cut down trees on my lakeshore property?