Can I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a victim?

Your insurance company may provide coverage for your personal injury or property loss due to a crime. If your report of a crime results in the offender being placed on probation or parole, the court may order the offender to make restitution to pay for the cost of your injuries, damages, or loss. However, restitution cannot be guaranteed and may not be possible under some circumstances. The Crime Victims Reparations Board may cover certain out-of-pocket losses as a result of personal injury or death. You may also consider pursuing a civil suit to recover damages.

Show All Answers

1. What is a subpoena?
2. How does a complaint become a criminal case?
3. What is an omnibus hearing?
4. What if the judge decides there is not sufficient evidence at the omnibus hearing?
5. Do cases always go to trial if they are not dismissed?
6. What happens in a trial?
7. How and when is sentencing determined?
8. What if I change my mind about prosecuting or testifying?
9. What if the defense attorney contacts me about the case?
10. What if someone threatens me to drop the charges?
11. Should I be concerned if months pass without hearing from the court or the County Attorney’s Office?
12. Coming to Court – Can I be compensated?
13. Can I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a victim?