Can I drive an ATV on County forest roads and trails?

ATVs and off-highway motorcycles may be driven on County forest roads, unless posted closed. For example, the forest road in Section 33, T46N, R18W, which meanders northwesterly from County Line Road for approximately three miles, is a signed road and NOT OPEN to any off-road motorized vehicle.

In 2017, the Carlton County Board of Commissioners passed Ordinance 33, which permits ATV use on the extreme right-hand side of any county-managed road, flowing with traffic.   This Ordinance DOES NOT APPLY to any State Highway or Township road.  Check Ordinance 33 here: <insert link>

Carlton County regulations conform to the MN DNR regulations for off-highway vehicles. Conservation officers, deputy sheriffs, police officers, and state troopers, all enforce off-highway vehicle rules.

ATV cross-country travel is prohibited. (Please see hunting/trapping exceptions at the DNR webpage).

Show All Answers

1. Does your Department have topographical maps for sale?
2. Does your Department have aerial photos?
3. May I hunt on public lands in Carlton County?
4. Where are public lands in Carlton County located?
5. How do I access public lands?
6. Can I access landlocked property along a section line?
7. What are the rules about deer stands on public lands in Carlton County?
8. What may I cut or clear to create a shooting lane?
9. Are Hunting Cabin Leases available in Carlton County?
10. Can Hunting Cabin Leases be sold?
11. Can I camp on tax-forfeited land?
12. Can I drive an ATV on County forest roads and trails?
13. Is it possible to obtain an easement over County administered land?
14. May I cut firewood on County administered land?
15. Can I cut a Christmas Tree from tax-forfeited land?
16. Does your Department have GIS data?
17. Will the Land Department run boundary lines on private land?
18. Are there Public Parks in Carlton County?